Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Just curious....how does DeSantis have a chance?
Jim, Jim, Jim.

He has the same chance as anyone of the current candidates running. This was just the first vote of 52 more. (DC and Puerto Rico) I stood by watching the votes being counted. I was surprised at the number of DeSantis votes going into the pile. There were 178 other voters in the room and in the end, 63 went to Ron. The person who stood up and spoke for Ron was not very articulate and he didn't change a single mind. The same for the Trump and Haley speaker. They wasted their breath and were not convincing.

The speaker for Vivek was Kathy Burnett who claimed she ran against Dr. Oz in Pennsylvania. She knocked it out of the park for Vivek. My guess is she did change a couple of minds. In the end, Vivek ended up with 12 votes.

Haley with 38 votes in our precinct was a flop by all accounts. The billionaire oligarchs should be $hitting down their legs going "oh fu$&".

As far as I am concerned, Ron has a following that just doesn't talk about it. They just vote. I don't know of a single DeSantis sign in any yard in my precinct but he ended up with the most votes.

You explain it. I can't.

kwg
Are the Iowa Caucuses open primary type or can you only vote for the party you're registered in?

If the former, then how many of those 63 for "Ron" came from Dems, Libertarians, Greens, P&Fs, and independents that will do anything to avoid having Trump on the ballot as the R candidate?

If the latter, the ones that don't talk about being "Ron" followers, or that don't put up signs in their yards are certified Never Trumpers and don't want their conservative family, friends, and neighbors to know for fear of being called out on it.

Is that explanation enough?
Only registered ioway republicans can vote in the caucus.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender