Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Since when did quantum mean tiny????

The phrase "quantum leap" does mean and has always meant a change in levels. Not an insignificant thing.
I originally learned the word in 1971 in Freshman High School Science Class in reference to energy states of electrons.
An orbiting electron in an atom makes jumps between energy levels, known as quantum leaps or jumps. The atom creates a photon when an electron moves to a lower energy level and absorbs a photon when an electron moves to a higher energy level or leaves the atom (ionization).

Which is, again, not an insignificant change in energy state. And explains how a luminous/phosphorescent watch display works.

As the word is defined fifty some years later:
1: discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents.

2: an analogous discrete amount of any other physical quantity, such as momentum or electric charge.

3: the unit quantity of acetylcholine released at a neuromuscular junction by a single synaptic vesicle, contributing a discrete small voltage to the measured end-plate potential.

4: required or allowed amount, especially an amount of money legally payable in damages.
"the court must determine the quantum of compensation due"
Wow, what started off as a joke with a bit of truth, has really spiralled into a thread derailment. I guess I’ll address this, since we’re on the topic now.

Not only can electronic transitions correspond to a very small amount of energy (a quantum of energy), depending on the density of states and specific transition, but most would agree that electrons are sub-atomic, and are pretty tiny, as I mentioned. Quanta of energy correspond not only to photons and electronic transitions, but also phonons, spin-state transitions, etc.

I agree that fundamentally, “quantum” simply means a discrete quantity, but it implies and is used to describe physics at the atomic and subatomic scale. Quantum physics was formulated in the early 1900s, where Planck first used it to describe the minimum amount of a given quantity that can exist. While the word may have been misused in the mid-20th century, at least in the context of associating a “quantum leap” with quantum physics, and incorrectly implying a leap that is large, the world is back to using it with its proper implication. My career is in quantum science and technology, and I can assure you that the entire quantum ecosystem uses the word to describe physics at the most fundamental level. That’s the original and the current common usage of the word. As a physicist, I likely take the word more literally and more seriously than most, so maybe it’s just me that is bothered when people use “quantum leap” to describe a large leap.

For fun:
https://archives.cjr.org/language_corner/language_corner_080514.php