Well loading for the 45 Colt got put on the backburner for quite a while, but I finally got around to it. I got some VERY disappointing velocities, and will need to go back to the drawing board. I'm not 100% certain I set my dies correctly, as I'm a NOVICE loader and these were my first handgun loads. I am certain my powder charges were accurate and consistent, and that my OAL was 1.58".

I loaded the 300 XTP using Hornady's starting data (Ruger/TC), which indicates 1050 FPS. The powders I have on hand are Accurate No9 (15.5 grains) and Lil Gun (15.0 grains). I used brand new Starline brass and Federal large pistol primers. The Lil Gun was slightly better, but still averaged around 825 FPS. The Accurate No9 I had a couple rounds that clocked under 700 FPS, and average was right around 725 FPS. I knew with a 5 inch barrel and shooting in 25 degree temps that I was not going to hit 1050, but am shocked how low these came in. I need to reach just over 950 FPS to meet CO's arbitrary requirement for hunting big game.