Alright, I stepped in it this time. Usually I'm the one marveling at reading comprehension on the 'fire, and as usually happens karma will circle around and bite you in the ass. I missed the part where the busses were subsidized by the VW settlement and not taxpayer funding as most grants are.
I'll own it.
The overriding point was that the busses are "cheaper" , but only because they are heavily, heavily subsidized.
Is the maintenance subsidized? Or do we pay that in taxes? Replacement parts? Electrical bill? How about rising electrical rates we all pay (and will continue to pay as demand and infrastructure demands continue to rise). Will the bus replacement cost be subsidized as well? I gaurantee the replacement cost wasn't factored in to the cost per mile, which is how most non .gov (businesses) have to do it. Also, at present, EV's have little to no secondary market value. Again, not factored in to cost per mile.
Bottom line is the only way the math works is because someone else is footing a vast majority of the bill. Sooner or later, that someone else will undoubtedly be the American taxpayer.
Truly good ideas don't require subsidies.