Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
Mule Deer is spot on. I have shot moose with a .308 Win and the old 150 gr "silvertips" (a terrible bullet by today's standards) and had no issue. They are big, have big lungs and if you hit them right, they will rarely go more than 50 yards and usually give you time for a follow-up shot as well.

I don't want to have to have my animal broadside when I'm hunting. I want the ability to take raking shots. I did say I would use a 150 mono on them but with C n C's I'm starting with 180

Only killed one moose (300 WBY and 180 grain Accubonds) and I personally can’t imagine the need to take any shot other than the one you wanted (‘cepting of course a charging one?!)…..and a “raking” shot on a moose doesn’t ever sound like a good idea. The moose I shot and the others I saw gave one plenty of time to get the shot needed. I could have killed that moose with pretty much any standard “deer” cartridge and a cup and core bullets. Obviously a stouter constructed bullet would be preferable with a decent SD but I wouldn’t feel very bad if I had to go moose hunting with a 300 WBY and 150 grain bullets - IF and a big IF the guy is comfortable shooting it.

PennDog