Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Interesting thread, guy can allways learn something from others. Haven't shot any moose but considering their size I would never place a bullet on purpose in the near shoulder. I dbl lung most animals I shoot and try to bust the FAR shoulder on the big animals I've shot that need anchoring. Vitals first and bones on exit it has allways served me well. Just my thoughts and method..mb

That there is a good plan! Monos should work well punching through shoulder blade, I hear. Never used 'em myself. A 300WBY is more gun than is needed, but if it's all you have..... smile

I've taken 21? moose , (not counting several road hit I've finished with .22Mag pistol) , using .243, 270, 30-30, 12 ga slug, one each, the rest about equally divided between '06 and .338WM. They all died about the same. That high shoulder shot taking out the spine, or any cns/head shot also works very well indeed.

The only problem I've ever had was using a 210 NP .338 WM into the shoulder. Probably a defective bullet and anomaly, as it blew up on the blade, peppering the near side lung with bb-sized bone and lead. That's as far as it made, and I never found the rear portion. Large entry wound.

Having a 50 " bull surge back to it's feet when one is 10 feet in front of it (don't do that!) is more adventure than I care to have. I am going to load up that other 30 rounds from 30 years ago and shoot them up one of these days. Maybe even use them on caribou, if any hunting of those is accessible to me anymore. I've stuck with 225 -275 gr. bullets for that rifle/caliber since.

I'd recommend for the WBY monos 165 and up, or most anything else in 180, 200, 220. NOT any "power-shok" bullets. Or a 30-06, 165 and up. smile

Last edited by las; 02/05/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.