Tough situation. I think just last fall we had someone shoot their hunting partner while they were trying to shoot a griz that was attacking. Sucks to be shot but it sucks to be Timothy Treadwell too.

I think I'm in the take the shot if you think you can camp. Maybe with the exception of a few guys that I may rather take my chance with the bear. Those animals could always just be one twitch away from ending someone in an attack. Sometimes only have a split second to make the shot and you miss 100% of the ones you dont take. If its just a missed chance to fill a tag thats on the line always take the time to make the safe call. In these situations its often do or someone dies. Thats a whole new level of pressure. My friends that I know can generally shoot I'd say take the shot. Hard to say because every situation is so different so i just hope they've got the experience and judgement to read the situation. If you get me on accident know I died out doing what I loved and at least left everyone with a he'll of a story.

I read a story once about a kid that accidentally shot his dad while hunting and never could go on after that. So, I told my kids when they first started hunting with me that if there's ever an accident and they hurt me to forgive themselves and know I forgive them and love them and want them to keep doing the shooting and hunting they love and know I'm smiling down on them, or maybe up at them. I hope my hunting friends know the same.

Another situation I worry about is dogs attacking a kid. We had pitbulls running the neighborhood a few years ago so u tried to get my wife to carry a little lcrx38 or my 351pd when walking the dogs with the kids. She said if the dog had a kid she'd be afraid to shoot. So I told her in that situation hold the gun barrel against the dog at the best angle thats pointing as far away from anyone on the other side. She said she didn't even want to think about it. I said it's best to have a plan before you need it and explained how bullets can deflect at pretty hard animals in game but don't generally turn more than 90 degrees in stuff unless it's a full ricochet.

Bb