AKBob5,

Ran into a guy at one of the "winter hunting shows" years ago, believe it was SCI. He recognized me from photos with my articles, and wondered if I thought the editor Handloader would be interested in an article on mixing powders to get higher velocities. If I recall correctly he specifically mentioned the .375 H&H, and regularly getting an extra 150 fps, or even more.

I asked if he'd pressure-tested any of his handloads, and he looked puzzled--because he'd developed them by traditional "pressure signs." I explained that plenty of electronic pressure-testing had been done on ammo developed by using such pressure signs, and they usually didn't show up until over 70,000 PSI--and that I doubt the editor (who at the time was Dave Scovill) would run such an article without his handloads being pressure-tested--and in-line with the 65,000 PSI that SAAMI allows as maximum average pressure for ANY cartridge.

He tried to argue with me, so I told him to write it up and send it to Scovill. Dunno if he ever did....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck