Mr. trophytaker308:
[Linked Image]
The788 in the picture is one of 2 that I�ve worked on a fair bit. Both were .308�s, but I�ve handled a few .22-250�s and 6mms as well. This 788 was my wife�s first hunting rifle, bought new in �82. As it came out of the box it had a birch stock and did not have the best trigger in the world, but it still would group 150gr. Remington Cor-Lokts right out of the green box into the smallest 100yd. groups I had ever shot to that point.

Over time I restocked it and worked the trigger over, adding a shoe as well to it.

Somewhat to my chagrin, and despite effort�s to beat it with other custom barreled rifles, it remains the most accurate gun in our safe. Years ago when I occasionally shot hunter rifle class competition, I worked up a load with 130gr Speer HP using WW748. If the shooter did their part, it would put them within �� of point of aim all day. It was used by me and some other club members to beat some very much higher priced and modified rifles with enough regularity that it became semi-infamous.

It has never given one iota of trouble, but I never tried to make it do anything more than be a .308. It likely has seen only about 1500 rounds so far, so I can�t speak to long term mechanical strength of this action type.

Hope that helped some and good luck with your .243.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"