Originally Posted by Garandimal
..........Have to believe that a heavy, 8-round semi-automatic M1 rifle, loaded w/ such ammo, would be hard to beat as a defensive weapon, given 2-3 rounds/sec. aimed fire.

I'm too old to carry a heavy piece like a Garand, but sitting in a fortified defensive position with that monster, and they can't even drive up to harass you.

I got a gorgeous CMP field grade rifle a few years ago for $850.........delivered in a custom CMP rifle case. New barrel and stock. No pitting. 1944 serial number. I then sent it to Schuff's in Michigan. He builds Mini G's, but I didn't want mine cut down to 16", or even 18" (I also had a Tanker in 308). I wanted a 20" barrel, hoping to maintain 2700 fps with a 180 grain bullet. The best I can squeeze out of it in 180 grains was 2600 fps. So I went down to 165 grain, and voila! I get a consistent 2730 fps average with Core Lokts and A-Frames and 52.5 grains of IMR 4895. I'm customizing a Streamlight onto a chopped down M1 bayonet so the light can simply be snapped on or off. The rifle always attracts attention at the range.

NRA Life Endowment Member