Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by SmittyoftheNorth
Ken Howell: � Based on my somewhat limited experience using Quickload, and a measure of common sense, I am convinced of the following.

Quickload is a poor substitute for even a SINGLE loading manual.

Quickload predicts pressures. On the basis of �equations�, it can�t always predict correctly, what your pressure will be, as well as a Loading Manual does, BUT you will have a tendency to believe the predictions, especially after a few times when you find that your pressures/velocities are very similar to what Quickload predicted for you.

You will learn to trust them too much, and that�s where you can get into trouble.

Loading Manuals are based on actual testing, and are written to err on the safe side, and that�s a better way to go even for the most learned handloaders, IMO.

I consider it irresponsible to recommend that someone use Only, Quickload for a loading guide. They do so at their own risk. �

If you knew and understood the criteria, facts, principles, and logic that support my conclusion, you'd agree with me.

BTW, I don't remember recommending that anyone use only QuickLOAD as a loading guide, and I definitely remember saying that any trial load has to be tested in a specific rifle. Please don't attribute to me anything that I haven't said, especially when you want to discredit it.

Limited experience with QL, like limited experience with handloading, is a damn poor basis for offering useful advice to others, anyway.

Ken Howell:
I�m sure YOU, know a LOT, with the possible exception of what you DID say, so let me refresh you memory.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
�I consider QuickLOAD a vastly superior substitute for a collection of handloading manuals.

Each manual reports results from one gun for each cartridge � a poor basis for assuming that the listed loads will produce similar results in your one other gun.

QuickLOAD, on the other hand, uses equations that ballisticians have laboriously derived, over many years, from the results from millions of loads in thousands of guns and cartridges. So it has a definite edge over a report of the results from a very limited number of loads from only one gun and one cartridge.

As a predicting device, QuickLOAD is vastly superior to manuals, IMHO. It's as useful for factory cartridges as it is for wildcats.�

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CLEARLY, you were advocating the use of QL, OVER the use of Loading Manuals.

Please read YOUR posts again, and all of MINE again.

I have used QL, enough to assure you, that you can encounter pressure signs with a load that QL says is perfectly safe. QL will not always accurately predict pressure, no matter how much experience you have. My �advice� was to caution people about that possibility.

Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.