Originally Posted by goodnews

I realize that on any buff or ele hunt one carries much more than he shoots and perhaps in quite warm weather too. Not intending to throw stones at the Win, My rational for the Lott, a case only about .3" longer than the Win, was to boot a 450-500-grainer at 2150-2200fps which is what the Win can do at full throttle, but do it easily and at lower pressures. As you know of the bucket load of English, big bore Epress or Nitro loads, very few deviate much from this weight bullet and velocity range. It is a proven formula over the history of recent DG hunting in Africa.

That you can shoot the Win is an added, not insignificant bonus, not to mention the flexibility (as the Win has) in handloading.

That's all.

Gdv

I surely don't disagree except that the 458wm isn't running near full throttle at 2150fps (and do try the WM in your Lott before you have to rely on them feeding.) I'll note that I've had no temp sensativity issues with either H4895, which is an Aussie Defense Force powder specifically designed for temp insensitivity, or with AA2230, even in 115* heat in the Zambezi Valley in October.

The century plus bench mark and stalwart 450 NE has nominal performance numbers of 2150fps from the 3 1/4" and 2175fps from the No2 version, both with 28" barrels. Few 450NE rifles match this nominal performance. Both of these rounds used the 480 grain round nose solids. The 458wm, or the Lott for that matter, exceeds the "in the field" performance of the 450NE's with loads in the 2100fps range and 500 grain solids. And the 450 grain flat nose solids out perform the 500 round noses by quite a bit.

Either modern cartridge out performs the benchmark.

So, are blonds or brunettes more fun?

BTW, my Lott is built on an MRC action as well, but with a Kreiger 23" barrel and a nice English walnut stock. The magazine is modified to accept 4 down rather than 3 as well. And it is set up specifically to feed my 458wm loads too.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 02/10/08.