grin Allen, I had a Lott built because while I've cycled through the "lesser" magnums and back to standards in some cases, in this case - that of cape buffalo which scare me - I wanted a "big" rifle. I shoot it standing on my back legs and so far I can call it "fun". However, my wife has on occasion questioned my judgement on other things, so you can take that for the little it's worth.

I took a '06/375 combo (Blaser R93) to Namibia for PG and shot it on day one checking the sight-in. I shot a 3-shot 1.25" group with 375, even over the PH's truck, and he said, "yea, shoot that." With the 270-gr TSX this load did a .38" group once at home. Anyway, I had one trigger pull for seven species, none of which traveled beyond the spot on which they were hit. The 375 really is a remarkable balance of power, yet reasonably flat trajectory, without too much recoil.

On about day 5 I wanted to change over to the '06 for "kicks" and he talked my out of it - if it ain't broke, don't.......

I have no doubt the 270 would be fine. This argument is played out here ten times a day in terms of smaller cartridge effectiveness. You might just take a little more time, get a little closer, be a little more surgical in your shot placement which are all things we should be doing naturally as we get older anyway, and you would be fine but I'm sure you know that.

I too do like the idea of the 160-gr Nos Part in the 270 which at 2750-2800 fps if you handload should give very good penetration and be a good killer.

Gdv