Calif Hunter,

The MRC #3 barrel went on the MRC short action and became a 300WSM. I have posted pics before on the custom guns tab. Mine is a chrome moly barrel so maybe the stainless barrels are better finished. Is yours CM or stainless?

The disappointment was that they were supposed to be hand lapped but one look through a bore scope would prove that it wasn't the case. My friend also has an MRC Chome Moly also .308 cal in #4 fluted. It fouls like crazy too. When I looked with a bore scope I compared it with a Lilja CM barrel, a Walther, a Ruger recent prod'n, a Sprinter & MAB (both local barrel makers). Lilja & Walther were best finished, next Ruger, then all the rest about the same.

My MRC 30MC and 300 WSM were both put together by the same gunsmith. The 30 MC uses a local barrel known as a "Black Mountain Barrel". It is hammer forged and has a bit of choke at the muzzle 1:14 twist and I left it at 28" long. It is my varmint gun. It'll shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups all day long with economical Speer 125gr TNT's at 3500 fps.

The 300 WSM has had issues I think with bedding. It's in a McMillan Sako Classic stock (getting that was a drama as well and posted on this forum) - looks great but I don't know what barrel contour they inletted it for but it sure wasn't the #3 MRC that I told them. Anyway, this one shoots groups of 1 1/2 - 3 inches but once I hacked into the barrel channel & removed all contact I did fire a 3 shot group that was about 1/2" at 100m. But I ran out of ammo after that so further testing required but I am encouraged.

Oh, why do I think MRC barrels are so bad? Well even if I didn't have a bore scope when you clean it with a patch you hit this really rough patch about 6-7 inches in where the rod vibrates. That really sucks and yes it's already had about 200 strokes or more with a tight patch & JB's. So for a custom gun why bother, a CM Walther costs about the same here. (I wanted chrome moly so it could be easily blued, Cerakote etc are really not that available here)

No I did not bother to contact MRC. I live in Sydney, Australia and the trouble you had to go through to get a barrel or any gunny part sent here is ridiculous - on both sides! Just put it down to experience. But as I say it may still shoot OK

But I can't see why people put down the MRC actions. They were always a gunsmithing part and as a base for a custom gun I think they are great. Wish they were around when I wanted to make a custom 375 H&H. Had to buy a brand new M70 safari express & strip it for the action!!!

Regards,
JohnT