I ordered one of the stainless short actions during their Charter Program. The action was a little rougher than I'd hoped for, but this was an inexpensive action that I planned to have trued and slicked up, anyway. The problem was the safety. I sent the action back to MRC twice, and they still couldn't get it right, so I asked them to swap it out for a long action. It, too, was fairly rough, but functioned just fine. The problem was the left receiver wall was slightly bowed. It really need to be draw filed, but there wasn't enough metal to true up the side wall without jeopardizing the action strength. I finally got an action that was suitable for a custom rifle project, but it took some patience to get there. That action is now sporting a Shilen barrel chambered in .338WinMag. I'm happy with the action now that it has been through the hands of an accomplished ACGG member to mold it into something worthy of a custom rifle. The newer actions surely have better initial quality than the Charter Program actions. If that is the case, they are worth having as the basis for a fine custom rifle. They are no different than any other action in that you will still need to have them trued and polished up. In any case, they require less work to build a fine custom rifle on than a military Mauser. My 300WinMag is built on a Mauser, and it is a beautiful firearm, but it took a lot of work and money to get there.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/