Slings are useful for carrying a rifle back to camp or vehicle, in the dark, on a trail or road. Or when traversing long distances on the tundra or prairie with no game in sight.

Hunting rifles belong in the hands, when hunting. My PH asked me, after a couple of days of hunting, why my rifles had sling swivels -- because I had never used the sling once. He said one of his biggest issues with American and European hunters was that they constantly slung their rifles, and thus were never ready to shoot in the bush. He never had that problem with me grin.

I do like the Kifaru Gunbearer for packing in and hunting with a pack. It's like carrying the rifle in your hands, without having it in your hands.

The "African Carry" bothers me a bunch, and is safe only if the hunter is alone. Its biggest flaw is that the muzzle is always pointed where the bearer's eyes are pointed. This is a bit disconcerting when such a person turns to speak to you...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."