I beieve there is a lot of room here the "different strokes" concept; in all ways, though, total and complete consciousness of the muzzle direction should be foremost in the carriers mind.

I've had my greatest problems in bird hunting in large groups in SD where you may get thrown in with many you don't know to form a small army of walkers and blockers. I've made more than a few comments through the years to this stranger or that who acted as if their shotgun barrel was a laser pointer. Of late, I avoid those situations. Many times I've used the "African Carry" in the bird fields when moving from area to area with my SxSs but always with the action broken so all could see it was unloaded and be and feel safe.

On my one trip to Africa - Namibia - it was so brushy you didn't know if you would come upon game at 30 yds or 100 so there was no place for a sling really and in practice at home a sling was problematic on the shooting sticks taking expensive seconds to get all cradled properly.

My PH walked just in front of me and requested my rifle to be loaded but not carried "high" (cradled) because of the sun glint (truly it wasn't shiny). I'm a lefty and he always seemed just ahead of my left shoulder. I ended up finding that if I carred it low in my right hand with the muzzle backwards I met my safety standards and could grab it quickly with my left hand at the grip and get into action effectively and quickly. Of course, this was for plains game and no dangerous game was involved.