I own seven of the new Taurus revolvers and have just ordered the eighth. All seven and the two that I've borrowed and returned came right out of the box with excellent triggers.

For a number of recent years (but not now) both S&W and Taurus were subsidiaries of the same parent company, and a lot of knowledge and technology flowed both ways. Also, I understand that a recent Taurus factory worker suggested a slight but significant modification in the trigger mechanism, which smoothed and lightened the pull.

Taurus now owns -- and makes guns in -- the modern Brazilian factory built there by Beretta to manufacture Berettas for military contracts. Thus this very old, very experienced company is making guns on the newest and best manufacturing equipment.

Two of my new Tauruses are .44 Magnums -- the Raging Bull with 8-3/8-inch barrel and the Silhouette with 12-inch barrel. I bought both because I could not persuade Taurus to make a Raging Bull with a 12-inch barrel. (I suggested calling that one the "Range Bull.") I haven't given-up the idea of rebarreling the Raging Bull with a 12-inch barrel. I like the Raging Bull's frame but would prefer the even longer barrel.

I've had a good number of handgunners try these Tauruses -- especially the triggers, which they all rated excellent. I ask 'em "What would you guess that I had to do, to get that trigger like that?" After they've guessed or "given up," I tell 'em -- "just took it out of the box it came in."

A carry gun for the field has to be both (a) powerful and (b) pleasant-shooting enough to encourage a lot of practice. The cartridges more powerful than the .44 Magnum are fierce enough to discourage or at least diminish practice. For most shooters, including most experienced handgunners, they promote more flinching than development of skill and accuracy. The .44 Magnum, in my experience, confirmed by most of the experienced handgunners I know, is the best big revolver cartridge for this blend of crucial criteria -- (a) adequate oomph for stopping big nasties and (b) easy-shooting enough not to be too unpleasant for adequate practice.

I've shot (with both hands) several big cartridges that made the same handguns with a .45-70 barrel feel almost like a .22 Long Rifle by comparison. I didn't flinch (hit what I aimed at), but none of those -- with all their whomp -- would be my choice for quick, short-notice shooting with only one hand.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.