Howdy Ken

This is a combined comment regarding useage on dangerous game and shooting positions/practice that you posted later in the thread.

I've twice used my Vaquero (45 Colt/300gr XTP) in situations where I felt it was advised; both were black bear, one wounded by a rifle bullet. It did the job, although, I am sure there would have been similar results with other handguns in the same situations.

The natural pointing ability of the Vaquero was what initially attracted me to the revolver. I wanted a short barrel (4 5/8ths), something easy to carry if hiking or on horseback. During the actual shooting incidents, eventhough I practice a lot with this handgun, I was surprised by the stress and pleased that the Ruger was simple enough and I was familiar enough with it, that the shots came easy and were accurate once I got it out of the holster. I fire this handgun at the range weekly, about 50 rounds a session.

What was difficult was simply getting the Vaquero out of the holster (amazing how adreneline affects the process); I hadn't done but a few presentations, good enough to become used to the routine -- at least I thought so. Now, when I am at the range, I always draw from the holster and dry fire practice regularly at home.

Replicating the degree of stress present in these situations is challenging but my shooting buddy and I get together a few times a year, taking turns drawing and firing while the other is shouting or using a variety of innovative methods to try to confuse or distract the shooter. Our "instinctive" shooting has improved a lot as well. Probably the best instructive program for us, however, was a training session at Gunsite. It was money well spent.