Originally Posted by Miketwo
I guess mine would be my MK II 7X57 with the Sierra 175 BTSP ahead of 44 gr H-414.
How 'bout you guys?
Mike

It is difficult indeed to top this choice. My combination includes the same rifle with H4350 over 175 grain Hornady spire points or 160 grain Speer Hot-Cors, but I doubt there's much difference in on-game performance between my choices and yours. Recoil is tolerable for when the body gets older and weaker. The rifle itself is not heavy and is exceptionally smooth and reliable in operation. The trigger on mine is light enough to facilitate precise shooting (simply by changing the trigger spring). Mine wears an excellent Leupold 2-7x33 which I consider ideal for the rifle and cartridge. I could definitely hunt the rest of my life happily and successfully with this rifle.

I have others that would do the same job equally well, such as my tang-safety Ruger in the same caliber, my Weatherby MkV lightweight sporter in 30-06 with just about any 180 grain bullet, my Interarms Mauser 30-06, and a couple others. But the 7x57 performs as well with noticeably less recoil than the 30-06.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.