Originally Posted by triggerguard1
Most folks don't realize that there's more to a model 70 trigger job than simply swapping to a Jewell or adjusting the screw on the factory trigger.

The model 70 trigger(old style) is the best trigger for big game and most varmint work that was ever devised, but it requires a lot of knowledge to make them sing. I'd imagine that near 99% of all Model 70 shooters out there haven't tripped the trigger on one that was done right. If they had, they'd save their money and not buy Jewells.

Matt: Very true,and well stated.I was with my 75 year old buddy, Bernie,at the range this evening and he showed me a Palma Match rifle that holds our club record,shot by Bernie with this pre64 M70, Hart barrel.The trigger is original;he says he had not shot this rifle much; it only has 12,000 rounds through it. His other over-the-course rifle has seen some use;he figured about 36-38,000 rounds.Trigger is original.

I watched Bernie punch out several one-hole groups of 5-7 shots each today.If a jewel trigger can improve on that,I'd like to see it. grin Many triggers would be rubble after that much abuse.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.