Here's the short answer without all the "armchair" psychobabble...

Most large calibers are for shooting large animals(for the most part) and most people including me, want the biggest, baddest, meanest caliber and cartridge we can handle, to make sure the job gets done right.

You don't get those conditions in a short action.

You need a long action with a case large enought to pack enought powder in it to handle the largest diameter bullet and heaviest usable weigth you can get...that was well understood in times past, but seems to have gotten lost in todays fantasy world of 'netbabble.

Since that niche is already been filled... for the most part...the "now" generation is going the other way...trying to use a tack hammer to drive a spike. Besides there are way to many people that whine over the recoil of stoutly loaded '06, why would anyone want to go a large step farther?

BUT...I don't see anything wrong at all with using a short action with a fat case and the largest caliber and bullet weight to harvest your game...as long as you understand that BIGGER is always BETTER when it comes to pranging those beasties that bite back and if you want to wax prophetic or pathetic, as you wish, do it around the campfire over a stiff Whisky or on the 'net where you're safe...or let someone else be the guinea pig. Hahahahahahaha

I would I would pick a large caliber in a WSW case on a short action, in a light rifle if I were sticking deer and/or it's cousins, but I want a 505 Gibbs or larger if something that thinks I'm just a snack or a bothersome fly to swat, is on the dinner menu.