I just finished reading (last eve)all 6 pages of posts on the 9.3 X 62 on another thread in the Big Bore section. I've done some serious thinking about that cartridge. In the past, I've been a big fan of .358" in the 35 Whelen and 350 RM. I still have "tons" of bullets and some brass in that caliber, but no rifles. I gave them up in favor of something bigger... .458"

Don't take me wrong, I still love those two 35s and have pondered if I should find a new or used 35 Whelen. If I got the .366, I'd have to start all over again: New rifle, dies, brass and bullets. With the 35 Whelen, all I'd need would be a "new" rifle. Internal debate takes place: "But .366 would be a new challenge and experience, and we all like that! But, really, HOW much different? Bottom line is they're .008" different... the depth of rifling, that's all! Hmmmmm... Is it REALLY worth it? From past experience, I know I tend to loose interest in something that's only a curiosity piece... NOT something needed to fill a vacant niche. So, bottom line (again)is I'll forgo buying a new rifle for a few months satisfaction, when that niche is already filled with my 38.5" Ruger No.1 in 45-70 Improved! I'll spend the money instead on more 350gr TSXs moving out at 2400 fps (not max), and a few boxes of the 300gr TSXs that'll move out at 2650 fps! And on a hunt in either Saskatchewan for black bear this spring or Manitoba in the fall for deer and hogs! That's what I'll do...", I tell myself.

Now THAT'S A "THUMPER" WITH THE SHORTEST ACTION GOIN', THAT WEIGHS A MERE 7.8 POUNDS WITH A BURRIS SILVER SAFARI FIXED 4X MOUNTED, AND EYE RELIEF AT 5.5" AND OAL OF RIFLE AT 38.5". PLUS, IT MATCHES MY CZ 550 458WM SHOOTING A 500GR HORNADY!

All of a sudden, I've realized (again) that that rifle will do it all... everything a .358, a 9.3, a .375, a .416 and a .458 will do; and do it with aplomb!

I think I'll save my money, go buy some premium .458" bullets and go on a hunt... rather than sit by my computer and catch "internetitis"! grin grin

Last edited by CZ550; 01/21/09.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus