Originally Posted by rifle
I don't think they will hold enough powder to really 'thump'.
What short rouund will shoot a 300gr plus bullet 2400+fps?

Well...here is an exerpt from the thread on another forum that started me thinking about all this:

"416WSM

Has anyone heard of or worked with a 416 WSM? This would simply be a 300 WSM necked up to .416 with a slight reduction in case length to account for the shortening effect of the neck expansion. COL could go to 3.1" to match current magazine length in the Winchester short actions.

The case would hold 66 grains of water with a 300 gr Hawk Bullet, delivering over 2700 fps and 5000 FPE at 65,000 psi. AA 2230 would do the trick, without compression.

A deep seated 400 gr Hornady or the like would still leave 52.5 water grains of usable capacity, delivering 2230 fps and 4425 FPE.

Best of all, these velocities are all readily achievable from a 20 inch bbl...."

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=4031

I do not have anyway to confirm the numbers being given here (maybe someone here has a good balistics program?) but it sure did get me thinkin...it would be a fun project anyway, and made me wonder if a factory version might someday be a possibility (although I would most likley prefer a .375 or even .358 version). If these figures are correct it sure does warrent consideration in my book. Food for thought eh?

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.