The reason that many manufacturers have Dave do it is that Dave makes a good product for a good cost. I build our own benchrest bolts. I mainly do it because there are so many configurations and with the sliding plate extractor it is just easier to do it myself then define all of them for dave. I would almost guess that if Dave didnt build bolts, most of the action builders would quit. I would have to add another mill, lathe and grinder. Its not a huge deal for us, but probably a $200k investment. We weigh out the build versus buy every 6 months and so far decide to buy. I have plenty of work right now and Dave does a good job so why not spread the work a little bit. IF times slow down, that may change, but I dont see it happening any time soon.

The interesting quote about is that if the action builders built their own it would allevate some of the problems. My question is: Who out there has problems with their actions that supply the bolts?? I understand the Phoenix deal may have issues as a non mfr must put a bolt in it. Problem from day one till the end of time. But, from any of us that supply the complete action, what is the problem?? Every action I send has a properly fit bolt, handle etc whether I built it or not.