I also read Montys book,it really was good.<BR>I have seen both methods of breaking horses.<BR>I worked with an old coyboy that told me how they did it when he worked a ranch(the right way)the hard way as he learned.But he also said sometimes they just didnt have the time to do it another way.<BR>As he got older he heard about some of the new methiods being used and he relized that if he wanted to keep working with horses he was going to have to find a smater way.<BR>He said he opened up his old mind and started looking at some of these new ideas and then slowly started using them.He came away with a better understanding of the animals he had always worked with. But he said it was not easy to admit that there was a better way.<BR>I also saw first hand some younger cowboys bring in some horses that they were to break.These were 2 year olds that hadnt been handled .After they were run into a trailer and brought to the ranch they took out the ruffest acting one--so they could show everyone how it was done--they turned him out in a arena and roped him, then they beat him till he was close enough to tie to a post ,the post had some plywood so he wouldnt get his legs tangled.So they keep on beating this horse teling everyone how he will calm down and be good her real soon--we will take the fight outa him --the horse kept running his head into the wood and then pull back then into the wood again all the while these idots were using the whips on the horse.They left him with no way to go.<BR>They got so many people riled up they finally left him alone but he was dead and hanging on the rope the next morning when I came in.<BR>His head was so swollen and beat up it was to hard to look at.<BR>I often wondered what kind of a horse he would of been.To be broke in a manner like that--<BR>Theses are two extrems but it does show(I think )that there are better ways to do things,and some times the old way are not better.Just something to think about.<BR>