Many of the backpacking/climbing companies are not anti-hunting even if they don't advertize to the hunting market.

I have never had a problem reviewing gear from TNF, Mont-Bell, Petzl, BA, Black Diamond, Go-Lite and many others for the hunting market. Yet with the exception of Big Agnes, I don't recall seeing advertizing in a hunting magazine.

Some of it is a lack of undrstanding of the hunting market and the belief of many specialty outdoor shops that the "Hook & Bullet" crowd are all a bunch of beer swilling road hunters that don't spend money on high ticket gear. Of course those that have that atitude couldn't be more wrong.

I was a hard goods buyer ( basicly all the gear and a bit of the technical clothing) for a specialty outdoor shop. The owner, even though he is a hunter never thought the hunting market was one worth persuing. I explained to him many times that the hunters were the customers that had no problem buying the Bibler tents and Western Mountaineering sleeping bags where as most of the cross country skiers and many of the backpackers were only interested in low end gear. He never really got though.

My take was that serious hunters were used to spending hundreds if not thousands on optics, rifles etc, and understood the concept of buying high end gear.

A couple companies owners that were main stream specialty outdoors saw the light and now are very focused on the hunting market. These being Dana Gleason of Mystry Ranch who founded Dana Designs and Kifaru's Patrick Smith who founded Mountain Smith.

So, IMO there is more of a lack of understanding rather than a actual anti hunting stance with most of these companies.

Ed T