Originally Posted by Idared
It's a Mauser 98 sporter that was built in the heyday of master smiths making Mausers into sporters the right way. It's .30-06. All the best components from the old days, and in nearly 100% condition. Shoots great, too.

Could you elaborate a bit more on that Mauser. Such a classic needs more said about it. More pictures would be a plus also.

Many thanks
I'm not much of a photographer, but I took these two shots outside just now for you. The barrel is by Johnson Automatics. The front and rear sights are both by Lyman. Probably put together, I'm guessing, in the middle to late 1940s. Perhaps from a German Mauser captured in the war. I understand this was a common practice. The fact it has no provision for scope mounting, and the stock design, tell me it was made before scoping sporting rifles was common. It originally had a polished blued steel butt plate. I had a recoil pad installed. It's surprisingly lightweight, and handles like a fine side-by-side double barrel shotgun. With the sling, just as you see it, it tips the scales at a svelte 7.6 lbs, and that's with a 25" barrel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
12199-OldMauserSporterI.JPG (70.4 KB, 448 downloads)
12200-OldMauserSporterII.JPG (59.78 KB, 443 downloads)