Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I cannot help but commenting on some of the comments. Yes, the 6.5/.284 is the darling of real rifle loonies, the kind of shooters who simply cannot stand using a boring old .270, so use something "different."

However, so many of my friends and acquaintances have a 6.5/.284 that it has become the boring old .270 of the not-sot-secret Society of Rifle Loonies. It just might be time to come up with something different from the boring old 6.5/.284....

I have been shooting my 6.5-'06 for 25 years, and I killed my first deer with a M94 Swede 6.5X55 in 19(mumble). I think the Swede introduced me to the short, handy rifles for hunting, and the Ruger Hawkeye .300 RCM I got last year reminded me again.

I have only owned a .270 Win for about 15 minutes once even though I know it is a great hunting cartridge. I think those 6.5s biased me. I didn't jump on the 6.5/.284 train because I already had a rifle that did the same things.

If Ruger doesn't introduce a 6.5 RCM Real Soon Now I will be making up a 6.5 Rem Mag carbine to go hunting in 2010 or 2011, Lord Harry willing and the creek don't rise.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."