It strikes me we're talking two different games here.

The 6.5-284 is a great target round, and it is also a barrel burner. 1000-1300 rounds seems to be about it for competitive barrel life. But competitive shooting is a different game than wanging away at 450 yard clay pigeons. In a heavy barreled target rifle, it may be worth it. Whether it is any better than a 6.5X55 or 260 or a straight 284 is open to debate.

It of course can also be an accurate round in a lightweight sporter, as the groups above can show. But it's impossible to prove, empirically, that there's any superiority. I've got a MR contoured 280AI that can match those groups above, virtually on demand. I've got a 52 year old M70 270 that will hang in there as well. It's a neat cartridge, but to take a 3-shot 100 yard group in a lightweight sporter (in any cartridge) and conclude anything meaningful about the cartridges abilities is wishful thinking. You can't compare these groups with the 10 or 20 shot group out of a target rifle. That lightweight rifle could be a 250 Savage or a 270 or a 308 and the targets would be similar.

It does keep the mental gymnastics at work though, justifying why ours is better than the next guys, huh? wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.