Originally Posted by djb
Guys please take this as an honest question and not criticism. I have consulted 4 different resources (Hogden, Nosler, Lee, and Hornady) and the MAX load I found listed for the 150g projectile and H-4831 was 55.7 grains. Aren�t you guys pushing the envelope a bit here? Are you all using more �traditional� loading data from the past which is stouter than today�s publications present? Even as such, have not powder burning rates changed�even lot to lot?

With no pressure testing equipment, my theory is to error on the side of caution in hand loading. I don�t go above book max, as an extra 100-200 fps does not make any difference in the real world. If I feel the need for speed; I go with a larger cartridge rather than hot-rod a smaller case. I look forward to your replies.

Most manuals list somewhere between 55-58 gr as max with H-4831 for somewhere between 2800-3000 fps. I seem to remember most manuals used to list 58-58.5 gr as max. I expect some of this is because 4831 changed, some of it is because bullets changed, and some of it is because the .270 is getting old. I have a Hodgdon pamphlet from the 90s that showed around 50k cup with 58 gr at close to 3000 fps and their website now shows 51k cup/ 55.7/2800. Not sure what changed. I do notice all of the loads listed were in the expected velocity range, so doesn't look too suspect to me. I'm always more suspect when I see higher than manual velocities listed justified by statements like ... I have no pressure signs and I can load my cases a bunch of times a primer pockets are tight.

Lou