Originally Posted by Brad

QUESTION: do you all think the 270 shows greater rifle to rifle variation than many other cartridges or is it right where other cartridges are in terms of velocity variation rifle to rifle?

Thanks

Brad: No; I think it's pretty predictable.I've loaded for a lot of them and like any other cartridge,you are going to get variations mostly due to bore and groove diameters,throat/leade dimensions, etc. But there is nothing inherent about the cartridge that makes it more prone to these variations thany other of similar capacity.For example the Douglas barrels I have owned tend to be faster with the same loads than the Kriegers ,which in turn, behave a lot like M70 barrels.

There are a LOT of 270's out there; even though chambered the same,barrels vary in certain material ways.Also,some 270 shooters are willing to load hotter than others,which will effect velocity as well. I have found the cartridge very easy to load for and generally very accurate. This latest FN 270 is a perfect example; load development was done in one or two range sessions.I used 61-H4831-130 Sierra and 130 Nosler Partition.
I have not chronographed it yet,but would bet velocity is at or a bit under 3100.The Swift Aframe shot well also with 60.5,and I know the Swift is a bit faster with that charge.I have chronographed these loads in so many 270's I've lost count,so don't much worry about it.....and with those bullets, I don't need anything else smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.