Originally Posted by Brad
LOL.

Gotta say though, I'm struggling to understand how one of the most uniquely and purely American Cartridge is "gay"... guess it takes one to know one.

Brad, I don't have one now and have pretty much pared down the safe contents commensurate with my philosophy of not leaving this globe with a pile of stuff my wife must deal with. I'm a "niche but overlap" guy - I see a specific application for each piece I have with some overlap to another above or below the primary.

That said, I am fond of the 270. When younger I was always one to try the next thing, the next drainage, the next cartridge and generally go bigger. I had the 270 in those years and if there is a better all-purpose small to medium big game cartridge I don't know what it'd be. And now as with most of them, it's even better with the designer bullets, better barrels, etc.

That Rem BDL in 270 became a 7mm RM, a 300 Win Mag, a 338, and a 340 B - I finally stopped there with that rifle. Though in various forms that platform did account for serious amounts of ungulate protein over the years.

But in truth, if I were to build one last time, a lightweight, svelte, all-purpose and well-balanced rifle/cartridge combination, the 270 would be in the top three I would consider.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/05/14.