I don't have a 358 Win any longer, but I was so impressed with the 358 caliber I built a 35-284. Nothing special as far as the build goes, just an OLD Savage 110 action that was a 243 at birth and a Douglas barrel. The only work on the action was a good polishing and lapping, lapping the lugs to 100% contact and truing up the bolt face.
So far I have liked the Sierra 225 BT for Elk. I have heard all the stories about the bullet will not pennetrate and blows up to easily. I can get an honest 2700 fps out of the bullet (more with different powders, but settled on 3031)
The last 4 Elk I shot with the gun the Sierras completely pennetrated the Elk and one Elk was taken with almost a Texas Heart shot. I have yet to recover a bullet. All Elk were taken with 1 shot each and either droped at the shot or went no more than 20 or 30 yards.
The 358 Win with the right bullet is NO WAY a short range rifle, not at all. I have also found the Sierra to be the most accurate with my gun several times shooting 1 3/8" groups at 200 yards. That is right around 3/4 inch group at 100 yards.

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 03/22/09.