Just found this board last night while doing a search on Long Range .22LR Rimfire, and thought it looked like a good place to be on occassion to discuss the Rimfire topics.

I have been on vacation this week and one of my goals was to reach out 200 yards and hit my 8 x 10 inch metal target with my Savage Mark II FVT. I have a 6-24x42 Tasco Mil-Dot scope on the rifle along with a 20 MOA EGW base.

I headed to the range this morning about 10:00 am, and set up a large paper target at 200 yards and after some work with the scope (I went in zeroed at 50 yards but had my dope worked out for 200 yards - or at least I thought I did), I was able to get a 5 shot 3 1/8" group using the Eley Sport 1085 fps...

After that I felt it was time to move to the 3/16th metal 8 x 10 swinger. Had some darn good luck with that I felt. I'm thinking I should try a 6 x 8 swinger next time?

I'm not new to shooting long range metal, I'm just new to shooting at this small of long range metal. We have a 150 yard lifesize coyote, 200 yard lifesize deer, a 175 yard Ram that is about the same size as the coyote, and some other metal targets at our local club where my son and I shoot. We have to listen for the "tic" when the bullet hits those. However, felt it was time to kind of isolate the results on an 8 x 10 swinger.

I will say this,,, long range .22LR is a whole lot of fun! Yesterday I was hitting this same 8 x 10 gong with my Lakefield Mark 1 Single Shot that only has a 3-7x20 BSA scope on it. Needless to say I had to use quite the hold over with it, but found that putting the scope's lower 'top' part of the post on top of the metal target - I was hitting it on average about 60% of the time using Winchester X22LRPP (1280 fps)... Today using the Savage setup and Eley Sport ammo I hit 90% (27 of 30 shots)... All shooting was done from the bench off the rifle's bipod's with no use of sandbags. Just the good ol' shoulder tuck.

Was just kind of wondering who else here enjoys .22LR long range shooting, and wondering what kind of results you're getting, as well as what type of target(s) you're using,,, and just any information you'd like to share.

Sorry for such a long winded post... smile

Joe