I do not complain when I pay for NM tags. Just got the hit last week on my card for one. I filled out the application and knew what it was gonna cost if I got drawn, so I ain't gonna gripe about it. Would I like it to be less? You bet! But then there'd be more applicant's, and odds would be longer to get the tag.

In our group this year there is a 20 something young man, my cousin. Myself, 38 years old. My B.I.L. 47 yrs old. And my Uncle, 56 yrs old. My cousin grew up hunting (like so many of us), but he hasn't gotten to Elk hunting until now because my uncle wouldn't pay for his tag. He felt that is something you need to earn. I agree. I never got to go until five years ago, when I made the decision that I WAS GOING TO AFFORD IT.

Paying $550 for a tag sure stretches my hunting budget to the limit. I already hunt whitetail and pigs religiously. And spend plenty doing that. Not to mention the money I spend fishing. Then there's shooting. And to top it off, my hotrod. I personally manage all this on a tradesman's salary. I also have a wife and 1.5 yr old little girl. So if anyone is gonna complain, it could be me. But I ain't gonna, cause if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't apply.

As for what it cost 30 yrs ago? I bet a lot of things were cheaper 30 yrs ago. As was the avg income. My father financed a house 35 years ago for $13,000.00, and sold it last year for over $100,000. In 1965 a new Mustang (optioned up) probably cost about $2500. Now you spend closer to $20k, if not more. But the bottom line is, technology has made Elk hunting more accesible to the regular joe now. GPS, online applications for tags, internet forums (like this one) for gaining knowledge, sattelite phones for emergencies, all the little do-dads and thingy-majigs that provide more comfort in the field, and the list could go on. All these things contribute to more and more people taking to the woods in search of Elk. So there's a higher demand. And I won't even pretend to know the stats on Elk numbers compared to thirty years ago. But I bet there was more of them then simply based on available habitat.

The unit we drew in this year is Santa Fe Forrest, Carson Forrest, and Pecos Wilderness. I think all of these are National Lands. But I bet the Fed's don't kick in squat for habitat maintenance, herd counts, harvest data, etc.. We're lucky to even see a park ranger most times. So we foot the bill, and I'm glad to so I can have the opportunity to kill an Elk.

I have plenty of grown friends who are jealous of me every time I draw a tag. They don't apply because they either can't afford it, or more commonly because they won't sacrifice other activities to go Elk hunting. That's their decision. The avg person could take their lunch to work enough in one year to afford a DIY Elk Hunt in NM. Cut back on sodas. Buy coffee at 7-11 instead of Starbucks. Refill bottles of water instead of buying new ones. The opportunity is there more than some know. It's really just a matter of them wanting to go bad enough. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Sure, anyone has the right to complain, just don't be surprised if it falls on deaf ears. After all, we all filled out the application.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.