Out here where things are so remote and lightly populated, we have many opportunities to shoot just about anywhere. And since our "trees" are usually mostly willow and alder brush, I took the opportunity one winter to try different cartridges and bullets through the brush, using the same aiming point on the front side, with a frozen, pristine snow covered lake as the "bullet box". Not surprisingly, my results mirrored what many different testers have found and published. No bullet can reliably get through brush and stay on target. One of the worst, in fact, was a traditional "brush buster": the 45-70. I couldn't even find the tracks of some of those big bullets, not even the hard cast ones.

And using a cardboard box about the size of a white-tail's chest as a target with only a light screen of brush 3-5 yards in front, most bullets struck "okay" but about half cut clear side profiles as they passed through.

I have watched some nice animals walk in the last few minutes of the "last day". I can't think of a better way to cap my "last hunt" - (hopefully I won't know that it is)- than to see a nice animal, and let it walk. Perhaps I'm showing my age.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 06/21/09. Reason: kant rit

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.