Originally Posted by atkinson
Whelen nut you could whistle Dixie at one of our Idaho elk in the black timber and he would not stop and turn around and give you a broadside shot! He is on his way to Montana the minute he comes out of his bed and won't stop until he gets there! smile I have been hunting there for 25 years and only had one broad side shot and someone else spooked him and he almost ran over me...

That's funny, because it rings true. To say the least, it's pretty brushy around here and I'd killed ten or so elk before I knew they could walk or stand still. I thought all they did was come out of their bed at full bore --- going the other way. A couple of times all I saw was part of a horn and an eyeball (big, scared-looking eyeball --- they have alot of white around their eyes when you're that close), heading for parts unknown, so you hit them in the eyeball. If they manage to hit the ground before you pull the trigger, that's a good time to shoot because they seem to hang there for a few hundredths of a second before they launch again. Usually after that second launch they're what we call "gone".

I've never whistled at one, but I've yelled things in the direction they went.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 06/28/09.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.