Originally Posted by Ant264
Sorry if you guys are over this question. This caliber has no support in Australia. I have a standard Winchester XTR 264 Win mag thats has a 24inch barrel,floated and bedded also has a crapy 3*9-40 tasco scope. I want to make this a tack driver out to 500 yards.Barrell and throat are excellent,stock is very good.
I am not worried about loads yet,just want to modify rifle eg scope, heavy barrel with muzzle brake 26 or 28 inch? Any advive would be great. It shoots ok but could do better. Thanks!
The barrel is the main issue.. Get at least a #4 contour, finish at 26" and forget the brake.. Just not needed on the .264.. You'll have to have the throat lengthened a tad to allow for the heavier bullets if you decide to go that route, but the .264 really shines with 140 gr pills. Reloader 22 or 25 should work well, also IMR 4350.. For long ranges like you state the bullet selection will be critical.. You'll have to try a few designs and see where the best promise lies..

Then, lose the Tasco and obtain a good scope - one that will allow you to shoot well in that kind of range.. You have a great rifle there.. Best to you.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!