Originally Posted by toad
grasshopper,
the OP wanted info about improving his M70, not a sales pitch about .270, 7mm, ect... this is not a cartridge popularity contest, it is a thread titled "Improving 264 Win mag"

That is exactly my point in my orginal post. I was responding to the title of the thread. Had the title of the thread been: "Improving my M-70", my answer would have been entirely different.

BTW, I didn't really say I dislike the .264, I just don't "like" it. I remember a few years ago Layne Simpson did an article on what he claimed were "dead" cartridges. And yes the .264 was among them.

How many ammo companys load the .264? And how many different loads do they offer?

My research lists 4, Rem 140, Win 140, Prvi Partisan 140, and Nosler custom 130gr. AB.

As an earlier poster pointed out Remington and Ruger both make rifles for it; now. But will they next year? In about 4 or 5 more months we'll know. But I wouldn't bet on it...

The 6mm Remington is certainly more popular than the .264 and that was another cartridge on Layne's "dead" list.

I am as big a 6.5 slut as anyone here. And if I told you how many rifles I have in the 6.5 bore you'd likely call me a liar. Likely some fine day I'll run across a Pre'64 M-70 so chambered and it will follow me home. I'd have one right now, but my buddy done me wrong, but that's another story for another time. smile But even If I did, I'd not likely hunt with it.

At one time Remington didn't make either the 6.5 Rem Mag, or the 264. They resurrected both, And the 6.5's aready gone. I'll bet you a beer that in 5 years or less, both Remington and Ruger will have dropped the chambering. And that's a bet I'd be happy to lose. smile In truth, "I" didn't proclaim it dead! The gunwriters did. I merely repeated their assessment.

A lot of great and respected chamberings have been dropped over the years, And almost always the reason is SALES. If it don't sell, they don't make it.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"