Originally Posted by 30_Caliber_Mag_Fan
Friends-

P.S. TC1 (Terry) have you posted pictures of your .264 Win Mag and have I missed it?

Hi Mark, I've posted some pictures of it here before. There isn't anything about it that makes it memeroble though. It's a Ruger M77 MKII with a 27.5" 1-8 twist Kreiger stainless fluted #4 barrel. It has a Timney trigger set at 2 lbs that is soo sweet and it sits in a McMillan classic stock with a bad camo pattern. It has one of those Weaver Classic extreme 2.5-10X50 scopes on it they were giving away at Natchez shooting earlier this year. I wish I would have bought several more. They were a steal! John Farner did the work on this rifle.

This is my 4th Ruger M77 MKII rifle and the only one I've ever owned that would shoot! I've always been snake bite when it came to these. When I found one chambered in 7Mag in a pawnshop that looked like it had been used in WWII I figured there was something worth having about this gun even if the barrel was probably shot out. I bought it for a song and here are the finished results.

[Linked Image]

I'm amazed to hear so many people having trouble getting these rifles with this chambering to shoot. My experience with them is very limited but I had no trouble at all. If you saw my reloading bench, gear and techniques, probably the nicest thing you could say is "He's not very meticulous" grin

IMO, the .300 winmag and .338 mags aren't substitutes for this cartridge. The 300 winmag takes a 180 gr bullet to match the wind bucking ability of the .264winmag with 140gr bullets. Any of the .338's to get close to the ballistics of the .264 well, they become recoil monsters! That's the beauty and charm of this round for me. It makes a very long range rifle for medium size game and has very little recoil. A well mannered beanfield rifle you might say.

Something else I've read about this round is everybody states they don't make a powder slow enough for it. I wonder why this is never brought up when talking about other rounds of this nature like the 257WBY for instance? I'm just wondering out loud, there maybe a good answer for that.

I think the biggest valid complaint about the round is the extra powder you have to burn for the small gain in velocity over a 6.5-06. Well, that's the sad truth about all magnums and if you wanna go fast you gotta burn a little extra powder.

All in all, I think I'm going to really like mine.

Terry