Good of you to take the time to post Gunny. I thank you for your stories. I just stumbled on to this post today. I fear for you guys every day. I'm so fortunate to be able to experience my life today as a father of a young Family back home. I have every thing I hoped I would someday have when I laid in my rack awake at night during the first Gulf conflict in 90-91. A boy thrown into a man�s job, responsible for several other boys in somewhat undefined rolls as young Marine armorers (2111's).
We all grew up fast that year, we feared scuds, mortars, mines, gas, drive by shootings etc. Khobar towers was hit just shortly before or after we arrived & stayed there, can't remember exactly. Everything was on fire, the sky stayed gray with a haze for 6 months after the fires were out, probably longer. We lived on red cross care packages from back home for about a month because for some reason we just couldn't get real food. Kuwait City was a mess, horrible crimes occurred there. The �highway to hell� was insufficient payback for the crimes that occurred there. I used to lay awake at night long after I could hear that all my buddies were sleeping (if we had that luxury) and that is the time at which I released my fear from an earlier event in the day for which I could not afford to show fear or emotion. I remember that, I actually wouldn't be afraid until I knew the guys were asleep. It aint like I laid there crying or anything but I just remember the emotion being delayed until that time, any panic or fear had to wait until I could hear the guys sleeping. It was important to me, I felt it was necessary to not have or show fear at those times in front of the other guys. My thought or hope was that it could help them remain calm. Then I'd lay awake & smooth over that fear with hope for our safe return back home & I'd comfort myself with future plans of family & such. I saw myself married to my then fianc� & having a few children, a boy or two & hopefully a daughter. Well that�s exactly what I�ve got & I cherish it all along with my freedoms & my country. I�m red white & blue straight through & you guys are my heroes, I�m very proud & thankful for your work there.
14 year have passed for me since I experienced dessert winter? It doesn't seem like it. One thing remains the same from time to time. I lay awake in my bed at night & fear for you & our fine young men & hope for all to be afforded the safe return I experienced years ago. For you all I hope for that & so much more.
Stay warm, stay safe.

Semper Fi Gunny

USMC Cpl 90-94

Something clever here.