OK! You tell me how it's logical to build a .308 length cartridge on a long action? grin

The .260 AI has an internal capacity of might near identical to the 6.5x55. Which means same/same velocities at the same/same pressures. If one is looking to increase velocity, then it stands to reason that one must increase capacity or increase pressure. (FWIW; a larger cartridge is the safer of the two...) smile

Assuming that one is using a long action, then it's logical to go with the 6.5/06, 6.5/06 AI (Or as I did, 6.5x64 Brenneke...) or .264 Win Mag. (Or a host of other wildcats for that matter...)

One can spend a lot of time, effort, and money trying to reinvent the 6.5x55, But in the final analysis, the 6.5x55 has been doing it's job with aplomb for more than 100 years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always have to do the wrong thing 4 or 5 times before I know what the right things is. Like Jim Croce: "I learn the hard way every time..." smile

YMMV

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"