Good morning all,

Ringworm,Selmer, and Mule Deer...

Fellas, in no way am I trying to be disagreeable, or come off as an "expert" or some kind of arrogant "authority" on trauma caused on live tissue by hunting bullets.

I completely respect your experiences, and do not question that they are and or have been different than what I have seen, but than again, I don't think we are in too much disagreement.

My point was that bullets cause a general amount of damage, as they pass through tissue.
I am intregued by the fact that some of your testimony states that there was no blood shot tissue ... My experience has been that even a 85 grain Thunderhead broadhead causes some bruising around the wound upon entry, though not as much as projectiles moving 3x as fast.

I believe that my previous statement was something along the lines of, "any object that displaces, tears, or upsets the tissue is damaging to that tissue..." Though not word for word, I mean this in terms of realitivity, as in such comparisons as schrapnel from a an IED blast, to that from the surgens schalpel that removes the schrapnel from the wounds. I think this is a good illistration of what I was trying to say. Most everytime tissue is perferated by fragments of a blast it is "damaging." So too is it damaging when a surgen takes out the knife...but to a much differing percentage, but none the less, a wound is made because tissue is upset.

Ringworm, Selmer, and Mule Deer.. I believe that we are on the same page to a great degree. My point was supposed to convey the fact that bullets cause a similar amounts of tissue damage... but that they are all distructive. Perhaps we were not coming at this from the same place, and believing that we were comparing apples to oranges instead of apples to apples.

I appreciate the article on "Shooting Holes Through Wounding Theroies," it's a must read (of which I have before), and also that excerpt from Mr. Whelen..., (I always liked what he had to say).

I did not mean to be rude, or seem arrogant...and I am sorry if that was clouding the simple point that I was trying to make, a realitive point, that when it comes right down to it, we are probably in more agreement than disagreement.

Some of our findings are honestly quite different, and this might be the reason for us to have such strong convictions on this topic.

For example, Ringworm, you state that the 270 Wby. bullet goes in and out too fast to caust much damage. My personal findings are quite different. Besides a quartering toward shot that I took on a Deer with my 300 Savage and a 165 Hornady (which, upon exiting the off side flank opened that deer op from the last rib to the pelvis), that 270 Wby caused the most damage of any I have shot, one such incident found the deer with a wound channel that was "cone" shaped from the point of entry to that of it's exit, where upon the off side scapula was removed from the deer leaving a coffee can diameter hole out that side. Now, if you had looked at this deer and the amount of tissue damage you would have an entirely different view of the bullet damage of the 270 Wby, and would not say that it's an in and out kind of thing.

It could be different experiences such as this that cause up to make such conclusive assessments.

Agreeably, the damage that occured from that one incident with the 270 Wby. was much less than the damage (in general) caused by a 300 grain .452" 45 colt slug out of my Blackhawk. And what I am trying to say is that they "Both" create their share of damage.

Again fellas, I am not trying to be difficult here.

Respectfully,
Scott

Last edited by 358wsm; 12/12/09.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)