Originally Posted by ringworm
we do a disservice to kids by bringing them up shooting fast light highly expansive bullets. when i was brought into deer hunting a quick kill was as important as how much meat was gained. shoulder shots were verboten and light fast calibers were seen as varmint rounds. i was rasided up shooting 180 gr. corelocts and told to make neck shots. when we send these young hunters into the woods with reduced loads and light bullets we are telling them that blowing away the front shoulders is acceptable. whats the difference between a man who kills a deer and leaves it to rot and a man who intentionally shoots a bullet into the shoulders when he could otherwise put it behind them. waste is waste is it not?

Can't see where a neck shot differs from a shoulder shot in the meat loss dept, more so when the bullet follows the contour of the spine, unless that never happens?. confused

Haven't shot an animal yet I haven't had to get rid of the bullet path from the meat.

Lung shots work fine, as do most shots through vital organs. I prefer to use loads that take out the running gear and the front of the vitals, but I'm not beyond a lung shot.

Head shots or lassos from now on I guess.