It all depends on what you want. Obviously some of the folks here feel that the .429" bullet of around 240 grains is adequate for thin-skinned, medium-sized game at 900 fps or so. I would go along with that but add that I feel it is barely adequate. As was said, you can load your .44 Mag. down to those levels if you reload and still have the option of full-power loads if your wrist is feelin' pert on a certain day. The downside is that you have to reload because as far as I'm aware, there aren't any light loaded Magnums readily available. Maybe somebody knows of some cowboy-type loads. Also, most of the published data ends at what I would call mid-range in the Magnum. They are still saltier than most factory Specials. You'd have to work up a load perhaps, and it can be tricky as dangerous conditions can arise from too little powder in a case. Bullseye is particularly known for this and ironically, well-suited to your proposition. You could always shoot Specials in your Magnum, although then you have to deal with the rings in the chamber, which can be a little troublesome.

If you're going that way, you might want a 45 Colt. The advantage would be slightly easier to obtain factory loads. 250 grains of .451 bullet at 800-900 fps is real close to what you're wanting. A 44-40 in some cowboy-type gun would work too, but would be harder yet to find ammo for. Some of the cowboy loads in the latter caliber are pretty wimpy too.