Originally Posted by brno284
Hey just day dreaming and wondering if anyone had taken the 300 RCM case and necked it down to 7mm. Looks like it would be a dandy little cartridge and should feed a might bit better than the WSM or SAUM. This is one 7mm I would buy or may build. Thoughts?? Anyone starting one???

Brno 284

Brno,

I may be assuming here, but here goes:

I have been told that the RCM brass has the same basic case head as the .376 Steyr. IMO, that is the biggest detraction. Why would one want to build a wildcat with a bastard case? Especially so, since we already have the 7mm SAUM. The SAUM will easily outperform the RCM, thus building one accomplishes exactly nothing except having something different. Now having something different is nothing which I havn't done... When I built my 1st 9.3x62, few shooters had even heard of it!

Now, I am quite aware that some folks just HAVE to pee on the electric fence for themselves... Thus, if the shoe fits... Que pasa?

Now if I am wrong about the brass dimensions, that makes my logic fairly flawed. However, If one builds a wildcat on the SAUM case, the .284 Win. case or the WSM case, at least one is using a standard bolt face... If one uses the .495 case head, and tires of his 'cat, there is not much one can do with the bolt... And the other downside, is that it adds extra machining to the custom process... Unless one starts with a standard Ruger RCM, and then one is stuck with owning a Ruger. (Which means one is STUCK with a hokey safety... frown )

Just random thoughts from a mostly idle mind.... smile

Grasshopper

addendum: Besides, it would be a fair stretch to come up with an idea for a custom cartridge that hasn't been thought of already, or can possibly fill a logical void... blush

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"