http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...apnik_Funeral_100107/20100107?hub=Ottawa (Photos attached in this link)

Fallen officer remembered for his dedication to the force

Updated: Thu Jan. 07 2010 16:32:55

ctvottawa.ca

The family of fallen Ottawa Police Const. Eric Czapnik wiped away tears as friends and colleagues remembered him for his dedication to the force, as well as his love to eat pickles.

"Eric lost his life because of a senseless act," said Ottawa Police Chief Vern White, who spoke of Czapnik's dedication to the force.

White described Czapnik as a man of honour who served his community with a sense of pride. He said his death has affected everyone: his family, his colleagues and the community.

As White spoke, a police officer's hat sat atop Czapnik's coffin which was draped with a police flag in front of thousands in attendance at the Ottawa Civic Centre on Thursday.

Son remembers his father

Czapnik's step-son echoed White's sentiment, remembering how proud his father was to wear his uniform.

Luckasz Galaska said he was thankful for the time he had with his father, and all the things Czapnik taught him.

"Growing up and watching him with my siblings -- my brother and my sister, and now my baby brother -- and seeing all the changes he has gone through through the years, without any words ever needing to be spoken, I have learned what kind of a father I want to be," he said.

"The last few days, we have shed a million tears and have felt our hearts break even more."

Proud father of four

Czapnik leaves behind a wife and four children. He was a proud father who joined the Ottawa police force late in life.

His colleagues described him as a dedicated police officer who loved working in the community - something he said called living his dream.

A close family friend told CTV Ottawa his family is still struggling to come to terms with his death, especially his children. His three-year-old son still calls for his father every time the front door opens.

'A hero'

Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty spoke of how much police officers give to their community.

"On behalf of millions of people, I am here to say how sorry we are for your loss," McGuinty said.

"I wish that words could take away your pain, but I know that they can't and they can't replace your brother, your son, your husband, your father."

He finished by saying that Czapnik would be forever remembered as a hero.

Solemn tribute

The funeral service followed a solemn parade of more than 4,000 police officers marching through the streets of Ottawa, in an emotional display of thousands of red and black uniforms flowing along the streets of Ottawa.

The officers, as well as first responders, including paramedics and firefighters, marched behind a hearse carrying the casket of Czapnik, 51, who was stabbed to death in an attack outside the Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital on Dec. 29.

He was sitting in his police cruiser filling out paperwork on an unrelated, low-risk call at the time of the attack.

Nearby paramedics were first on the scene. They restrained the suspect, and desperately tried to save Czapnik, who was pronounced dead a short time later.

Suspended RCMP officer Kevin Gregson is charged with first-degree murder in his death. Gregson's lawyer said his client's mental health will be argued in his defence. His next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 19.

Tragedy felt by many

Police officers from across Canada and the United States were in Ottawa to offer their support.

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said although the tragedy happened in Ottawa, it's a traumatic event for police officers everywhere.

"The reason we're here is to demonstrate first of all our respects and our condolences for the fallen officer and also our relationship and kindred care for the officers of the Ottawa Police Service, for the City of Ottawa because the citizens have lost one of their public servants," Blair told CTV News Channel.

An American honour guard from the sheriff's office in Syracuse agreed, noting the tragedy affects everyone in the profession.

He said borders are merely thin blue lines separating provinces, states and countries. When a police officer is killed, everyone is affected.

Czapnik is the first Ottawa police officer to be killed on the job since 1983.

A private burial will follow the funeral at the Beechwood Cemetery. A private reception for his family and members of the police force will be held at the Aberdeen Pavilion later this afternoon.