Utah.

That does not mean octagon barrels are any LESS accurate than round barrels..

Anymore than a synthetic stock is "more accruate" than a properly bedded wood stock on a target rifle.

BR and other centerfire target shooters burn out enough barrels that COST plays a factor as well.

Octagoning a barrel is largely COSMETIC to most folks.. If it cost'more money -even if it does not HURT anything- if adds nothing to the accuracy of the gun it generally not get done on a modern target rifle..

A properly contoured, chambered and fitted octagon barrel will cost nearly TWICE what an average orund barel cost, all other things being equal..Octagon barrels are pain to index and fit properly compared to a round barrel. It costs extra $$.

Most serious bench rest shooters I know would rather use the $$ buying an extra barrel blanks as they tend to buy them and fit them to a rifle in groups(the smart ones at least) and sort the "hummers"(shooters) from the average tubes..

They would simply rather spend the $$ on something other than the shape of the barrel.. And, if performance VS cost is important, I would chose a round barrel for a BR rifle as well.

It still does not mean across the board that octagon barrels are any less accurate all other things being equal.. Which was my real bone to pick with UMT's comment.

Last edited by jim62; 01/08/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt