I first got a Blaser (Ultimate) years ago because of the switch barrel concept, coupled that I bought the distributor's sample at a seriously discounted price. It worked well, even though a bit unconventional in appearance. This was my "gun of the month" period of my life, and it went after a couple of years.

I got into the R-93 business, quite by accident . I had a Browning Olympian .270 for many years that had begun to show evidence of salt (no action/barrel blue loss- but the butt plate screws and the bottom swivil stud were eaten up. I could not sell it for anywhere near what the Angelo Bee engraved barreled action was worth, but I did stumble into a dealer that had what he thought was a "clean" stock for it. I traded the salt gun heads up for a Blaser R-93 with one barrel and scope mount. I did pay extra for another barrel, mount, and fitted case. On the heads up part of the trade, I think I did well, no really well, as far as cash value. If I had it to do over, I would have paid 1000-1500 to a good stock maker and kept the Mauser. The Blaser is accurate, I just do not use it. Perhaps it is time for it to go.

The topic of todays discussion is cartridg design. I see no useful purpose for the shorter fat cases in a Blaser. They are already light and the action is not going to get smaller to utilize them. In fact the newer R-8 is a larger, heavier action than the R-93, to better handle cases of .375 and larger. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero